A small, but sincere group of spiritually minded local folks desired to have a church in which they could worship within their own community. These folks had a vision for the future seeing a church as a beacon of light in a dark world. Thus, Burnsview Baptist Church was organized on October 23, 1921. During the organization meeting a committee was elected to name the church. The committee agreed that our new church should be called Burnsview Baptist Church. This name was decided because Mr. G.W. Burns, Sr. gave one acre of land on which to build our church. The first meeting place was in an old store building across the road from the old sanctuary where Robert Deyoung’s house now sits. The church later moved to the old Woodlawn School house which used to sit where the parsonage was later built and the front of the current church now sits. Rev. G. H. Liner was called to be our first pastor.
The members, under the leadership of the Lord, wanted a sanctuary which could be dedicated to the Lord for worship. It was at this time that Mr. G.W. Burns gave one acre of land to build on. Construction of our first church building began on March 6, 1922. Our members gave logs from their farms, had them sawed into lumber, and built the church with free labor. The first pews were made by members, the lumber given by a member of the church.
In 1964, we voted to start a building program to add a vestibule, restrooms, and remodel the existing sanctuary at a cost of $5,000. However, recognizing the need for a new sanctuary, Pastor Burnette encouraged the church to plan to build a new one. In 1966 the sanctuary was completed. Ground breaking services for a Family Life Center were held on March 2, 1986 and the newly completed Family Life Center was dedicated on March 1, 1987.
The Lord blessed the church so that our membership began to grow with more than 100 people joining the church in two years! Attendance grew at such a pace that it was necessary to have two Sunday morning worship services beginning January of 2003. The church leaders saw the need for more room; therefore, on July 13, 2003, the newly formed building committee recommended we build a new sanctuary with offices for the staff, a choir room and additional Sunday School classes for children.
We have seen many changes here at Burnsview in the past 90 years. However, the Word of God is still preached with power and authority. Souls are being saved and lives changed for the better. After all, this is what the church is all about. Burnsview has been growing by leaps and bounds with an additional 600 new members since 2002! We would love to have you join our family if you're looking for a church home.